Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Back in the saddle

Not got much time today but actually back in the process of doing some music.

Today a micro bit of arrangement (and a bit of learning new tools). Continuing to be impressed with Studio One. Easily figured out how to chop my MIDI tracks up into four bar segments which I could then duplicate and arrange to start giving some structure to the piece. Combining my two variant piano parts into one track was a simple drag and drop operation.

Then I tidied up the instrument allocations (again really easy) getting rid of unused drum parts that had been added to the song. After that I went to save and noticed that there is a file versioning system built in! So no need to save "song_v1", "song_v2" etc.

Finally today I added another part to the piece, this time by playing on the keyboard and recording. That process was a cinch, and after a little quantising and tweaking it almost sounded OK (but actually it's pretty rubbish). Anyway, not to be disheartened I then arranged my little pieces a bit (well, arranged is a strong word, cut and pasted in random order is more like it) to try out some different textures, and then recorded it:

The only thing that took a little while was working out how to add a mastering effect to make it sound a little less dry, and I dont think I did that right (added a send fx to all the instruments) but I am flying blind here, maybe I should read some tutorials or even the manual or something.

Anyway, can't say the output is improving but I'm certainly getting to grips with the process...

No comments:

Post a Comment